- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 3/4 cup heavy cream*
- 3/4 cup whole milk*
- 1 1/2 cups freshly, finely shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a large, deep skillet (or saute pan) over medium heat. Add flour, cook 30 seconds stirring constantly, then add garlic and saute until flour and garlic are golden, about 30 seconds longer.
- While whisking slowly pour in heavy cream and milk. Cook stirring constantly until mixture simmers and thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat, stir in Parmigiano-Reggiano. Return to low heat, stir and let cheese melt through.
- Cover and keep warm over warm heat, stirring occasionally, until pasta is finished.
*Half and half can be substituted for heavy cream and whole milk, it will just be a little less rich.
Makes about 2 cups sauce, enough for about 12 oz. fettuccine pasta. Tip: Start pasta cooking just before you start cooking the sauce so they finish about the same time.
If desired you can thin coated pasta with some of the warm pasta water as it rests, it will thicken upon standing.
Add grilled chicken or sautéed shrimp along with pasta if desired (about 1 lb before cooked).
Nutrition estimate is for sauce only, not including pasta.