- 4 beetroots medium
- 2 cups water
- 1½ tbsp sesame oil
- 1 onion medium thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger fresh grated
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 green chilli large
- 1 tbsp lemon juice fresh
- 1/4 cup almonds plain, chopped
- Wash, peel and slice beetroot into medium cubes
- Place beetroot cubes into saucepan and fill with water to cover
- Place the lid and bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until tender. Drain the water and set aside
- In a pan, add oil and saute onion and ginger for 2-3 minutes on medium heat
- Stir in beetroot, cumin and green chilli and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Finish with squeeze of lemon and sliced almonds
Wear gloves when washing, peeling and chopping, to avoid staining your hands.
Use a vegetable peeler, instead of a knife.
Don’t forget to cover the pot, when boiling. This will speed up the cooking process.
Avoid discarding the nutritious beet greens. Use them as you would collard greens; saute with a dash of oil and seasoning to create a the nutritious dish